Tuesday 6 May 2014

Haiku experiment


So lately I've been looking in different kinds of poetry. I think that poetry is a great way to get your ideas down in a creative way that is unique to you. For those of you who don't know, I am a song writer. Sometimes when you are writting songs it is hard to expresses yourself and how you are feeling in a way that makes musical sense. I have lots of good ideas, but it's hard to arrange them in a way that makes a good and catchy song. So here we are, I am trying out poetry, simply as a hobby. Today I wrote this haiku. A haiku is formed using syllables in a very specific and simple manner. A haiku is a combination of three lines the first containing 5 syllables, the second having 7, and the last going back to the 5. I thought it would be best starting with a form of poetry that had a very strict framework to encourage me to condense and contain my ideas to the format, which is very short and sweet. In general I found this to be a helpful "experiment" which definitely encourages me to experiment with poetry more in the future. This haiku in particular is referring to God's love for me, using the methaphor of an ocean. Just as the ocean is so large and vast, and has so much power and beauty God's love washes over me. God has so much love that the "waters" engulf me by His grace. I am generally happy with my first Haiku, and stay posted for future additions of my poetry. 

No comments:

Post a Comment